The CU Denver Social Justice Program Presents: Sanctuary and Solidarity in 2019: A Roundtable on Immigration Advocacy in Denver.
Monday, May 6, 4pm
Student Commons, room 1401
Food Provided * All Are Welcome
- Jeanette Vizguerra and Jennifer Piper, Metro Denver Sanctuary Coalition
- Sarah Jackson, Casa de Paz
- Rebeca Zúniga, Denver Justice and Peace Committee
- Ali Abdi, Somali Organization for Overall Development of Youth and Education
- Sarah Shikes, El Centro Humanitario
Beyond the national and global headlines regarding immigration – and in spite of rising hostility and revanchist rhetoric in the political sphere – communities around the globe are seeking to make a difference. Our own community here in Metro Denver is no exception.
This roundtable event will highlight the diverse grassroots efforts of activists and organizations in Denver to advocate for and support immigrants, both in our community and around the globe. Local activists are supporting ICE detainees and their families, challenging family separations in the sanctuary movement, fighting for pay equity in the workplace, and seeking to educate prospective migrants in Somalia and Central America. We will learn about these wide-ranging efforts, and you will have the opportunity to meet the participants and explore internship possibilities.